What are you watching on DVD?

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

Fuhrer Worm
Reactions:

Re: What are you watching on DVD?

Post by Fuhrer Worm »

I finished Fringe recently (aka: the kind of show I wish we could have got as a Doctor Who spin-off instead of something like Torchwood). I felt the last season was a bit iffy but, as far as final episodes go, Fringe has one of the best that I've ever watched. Like many who've watched it, I felt the best scene was the "You're my favorite thing, Peter." one.

Meanwhile, I've recently and finally started watching Rick and Morty, Game of Thrones, and True Detective.
Ladylusiphur
Reactions:

Post by Ladylusiphur »

True Detective is very good.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Fuhrer Worm
Reactions:

Post by Fuhrer Worm »

It is very nice, so far! I've heard the 2nd season isn't so hot but, hopefully it's a case of not quite living up to the greatness of the 1st season rather than being straight up bad like the later seasons of Dexter. Yikes.
Ladylusiphur
Reactions:

Post by Ladylusiphur »

I didn't mind the latter half of Dexter, so I might not be one to judge. :) Nothing beat series 4 though, I'll admit. Coincidentally, I'm currently rewatching series 6 on Wednesday nights with my Mum as she's not seen the later ones herself. It's better than I remember.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Rawkus
Reactions:

Post by Rawkus »

Evil Dead (2013): I think they went for widespread appeal by making it as glossy and anodyne as possible. The third one at least realised you can't keep going back to the same cabin in the formula and expect people not to be bored. Plus, using the book to tick off unpleasant events was mechanical and Incredibly formulaic. Awful characterisation that disappears halfway through the film.

They confused scary with disgusting - lots of vomiting. It didn't have a claustrophobic atmosphere or much pace, but I could forgive most of its mistakes if it didn't take itself so seriously. I mean the piano music when he thinks he has saved his sister...

How tedious.
Rawkus
Reactions:

Post by Rawkus »

I decide to watch ‘It Follows’. It’s about an invisible supernatural killer that is passed on by sex. The narrative seems like a metaphor for STDs. The open ending was wonderfully implied rather than showing something and pretending it didn’t happen like with ‘Listen’. That was a breath of fresh air compared to the ‘Evil Dead’ remake, in every way.

What’s more, the directing was moody and the music was brilliant; such a change from the train-like chugging of a thick heavy metal riff that accompanies most modern horror films. Murray Gold could learn a thing or two.

The viewpoint character was always in the pool or swimming. I am sure that is some kind of symbolism for wanting to be clean but still feeling dirty.
Adam Ant Driver
Reactions:

Post by Adam Ant Driver »

I hated It Follows (The X-Files did it better) and all of the other films recommended along with it but if you did like it then you might enjoy The Babadook, The Witch and Oculus.
For three long days, I felt the cold hand of death on my shoulder. Lost in the depths of despair I tried to figure out what I had done to deserve this. I wasn't an evil person. The worst thing I'd ever done was kick a pig - School trip to Heston Farm, 1964, I maintain it was self-defence.
Rawkus
Reactions:

Post by Rawkus »

Adam Ant Driver wrote:I hated It Follows (The X-Files did it better) and all of the other films recommended along with it but if you did like it then you might enjoy The Babadook, The Witch and Oculus.

Thanks for the recommendations, will check them out :)
Rawkus
Reactions:

Post by Rawkus »

A friend also recommended

House of the Devil
The Innkeepers
Lake Mungo
Let The Right One In
Undead

Any thoughts?
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

Let the Right One In is sublime. Liked Oculus too.

Not seen the others you mention bar Lake Mungo, which I thought was a pile of shite.