Decent Films

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

The Seal
Reactions:
Posts: 13031
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Re: Decent Films

Post by The Seal »

Big Fish.

Touching, surreal, brilliantly acted fantasy/meaning-of-life type nonsense for a rainy afternoon with Bourbons and a vat of tea.
User avatar
TheWatcher
Reactions:
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 1:56 pm

Re: Decent Films

Post by TheWatcher »

Big Fish is over-rated.

Get Carter, Alfie, Long Good Friday, Being There, The Man Who Could Work Miricles, The Odd Couple, 12 Angry Men, Rear Window, Rope, Las Manos de Orlac, Reservoir Dogs, Hell Up in Harlem....

I have many many more.
User avatar
Tad_Cooper
Reactions:
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:43 pm

Re: Decent Films

Post by Tad_Cooper »

TheWatcher wrote:Big Fish is over-rated.

Get Carter, Alfie, Long Good Friday, Being There, The Man Who Could Work Miricles, The Odd Couple, 12 Angry Men, Rear Window, Rope, Las Manos de Orlac, Reservoir Dogs, Hell Up in Harlem....

I have many many more.
Big Fish is a load of old shit. Though it's a while since I've seen it.

Lots of good movies in there though.

Most things by Hitchcock are worth a look, even his bad ones are better than most other films at the time.
User avatar
Mott1
Reactions:
Posts: 2427
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:22 pm
Location: Alcester
Contact:

Re: Decent Films

Post by Mott1 »

Tad_Cooper wrote:Most things by Hitchcock are worth a look, even his bad ones are better than most other films at the time.
True... and you can see Hitch's influence on directors like David Fincher. My personal favourites of his are The Birds, Psycho, North by Northwest and Frenzy, which is often seen as the best of his later era. I didn't fully 'get' Vertigo, though.
"I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a prefrontal lobotomy."

Tom Waits.
User avatar
Tad_Cooper
Reactions:
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:43 pm

Re: Decent Films

Post by Tad_Cooper »

Mott1 wrote:
Tad_Cooper wrote:Most things by Hitchcock are worth a look, even his bad ones are better than most other films at the time.
True... and you can see Hitch's influence on directors like David Fincher. My personal favourites of his are The Birds, Psycho, North by Northwest and Frenzy, which is often seen as the best of his later era. I didn't fully 'get' Vertigo, though.
Vertigo is a bit strange. I like how it messes with the ideas of heroes and heroines, villains etc. A bit ahead of it's time.

I like Rope, Shadow of a Doubt, Notorious, Rope, Frenzy, The Birds... I'm getting carried away now. Too many. Notorious is probably my all time favourite.

I was most impressed to learn that Shadow of a Doubt has the old geezer from Cocoon/Batteries not Included in it. I thought he was born old.

The Man Who Knew too Much is a bit twee. (colour one)
The Seal
Reactions:
Posts: 13031
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Re: Decent Films

Post by The Seal »

TheWatcher wrote:Big Fish is over-rated.

Get Carter, Alfie, Long Good Friday, Being There, The Man Who Could Work Miricles, The Odd Couple, 12 Angry Men, Rear Window, Rope, Las Manos de Orlac, Reservoir Dogs, Hell Up in Harlem....

I have many many more.
I'm getting a strong sense of self-aggrandizing, 'IMDB Top 100 tombola' involvement in the above post. :twisted:
The Seal
Reactions:
Posts: 13031
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Re: Decent Films

Post by The Seal »

Tad_Cooper wrote:Big Fish is a load of old shit. Though it's a while since I've seen it.
Succinct, with a splash of self-doubt.
User avatar
TheWatcher
Reactions:
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 1:56 pm

Re: Decent Films

Post by TheWatcher »

I don't know what it makes me, I was just reading out the first level of my DVD rows...

Maybe you just think I'm great. Big Fish really is shite, however.

Name some greats in your very own personal collection. I'm bound to honesty, you know...
User avatar
Tad_Cooper
Reactions:
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:43 pm

Re: Decent Films

Post by Tad_Cooper »

I went to the cinema twice last week.

'Don't Breathe' is an interesting idea with some interesting direction for the first half, and turns to far-fetched crap about halfway through. I can't tell you why I think it's crap without ruining any plot twists though, so see for yourself if you like teen-slasher kind of things.

'Hell or High Water' on the other hand, starts off a bit slow but overall is quite brilliant. I think Chris Pine has been to the Matthew Mcconaughey school of acting though, where they age you by a decade, give you a shit haircut & stubble and suddenly you're a 10 times better actor.
I'm not surprised it's getting such good reviews, anyone who hates the banks and what they're doing to society should definitely go and see it. There's a certain satisfaction in the overall plot and what the main characters are doing. It won't change the world and our society, but it's fun to watch someone take such a dig at the system.
User avatar
iank
Reactions:
Posts: 4272
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: aussieland

Re: Decent Films

Post by iank »

Everyone's been raving about Don't Breathe but I thought the trailer looked shit and couldn't be arsed to go see it.
Post Reply