Decent Films

Moderators: _liam_, Mike

Ladylusiphur
Reactions:

Re: Decent Films

Post by Ladylusiphur »

iank wrote:Everyone's been raving about Don't Breathe but I thought the trailer looked shit and couldn't be arsed to go see it.
It could have been really great. The basic ideas are good but there isn't enough of what really works & it instead goes back to same-old same-old. Personally I quite enjoyed it, but I have terrible taste. :D
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Tad_Cooper
Reactions:

Post by Tad_Cooper »

Ladylusiphur wrote:
iank wrote:Everyone's been raving about Don't Breathe but I thought the trailer looked shit and couldn't be arsed to go see it.
It could have been really great. The basic ideas are good but there isn't enough of what really works & it instead goes back to same-old same-old. Personally I quite enjoyed it, but I have terrible taste. :D
I was just left at the end feeling like there wasn’t anyone I was supposed to sympathise with so didn’t care if anyone survived the film. The characters on both sides were morally corrupt, even though they all had reasons for doing what they were doing. I can't have been the only one either, at least 2 people walked out before the end.
The other film I saw on the other hand, left you with the opposite dilemma. There are no good guys and bad guys (in terms of the human characters, the banks are another matter) and you can understand how they’ve all got themselves in the situation they’re in through no fault of their own. Or at least in the case of the more morally questionable ones they have a bit of honour deep down.
Adam Ant Driver
Reactions:

Post by Adam Ant Driver »

I watched Star Trek Beyond today and it was decent, not great but decent. Much better than the pile of steaming shit that was Into Darkness.
For three long days, I felt the cold hand of death on my shoulder. Lost in the depths of despair I tried to figure out what I had done to deserve this. I wasn't an evil person. The worst thing I'd ever done was kick a pig - School trip to Heston Farm, 1964, I maintain it was self-defence.
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

Went to the cinema today to see Ouija: Origin of Evil. The sequel (or rather, prequel) no one wanted to the horror flick no one liked, but which has turned out to be a somewhat unexpected critical darling. Though perhaps it shouldn't have been too unexpected, as this one (unlike the original) is co-written and directed by Mike Flanagan, whose track record includes the low-budget but excellent Absentia and the excellent 2013 Karen Gillan horror flick Oculus (he's also done a home invasion thriller called Hush this year which is not out here yet) and who is rapidly becoming my favourite modern horror director. A widow and fake medium conducts her "sessions" with the aid of her two daughters, one teenage (and played by the same young actress who played the young Karen Gillan in Oculus, funnily enough) and the other a little girl. One day the mother decides to bring home one of these newfangled ouija boards to spice up her act, but unknown to her, her youngest decides to play with it alone at night. And something decides to start answering back, and it ain't interested in playing 20 Questions. Needless to say, things start going rapidly downhill for the family after that... I totally dug this movie, from the excellent cast (which includes an all growed up Henry "ET" Thomas as the family's increasingly concerned priest) to the slow-burn tension and mood, to the whole 60s atmosphere and iconography (which even includes the use of the old Universal logo at the start of the film and "cigarette burns" to indicate reel changes throughout). Love a bit of period stuff (anything to get away from the 21st century I guess!). I shall certainly be getting this on Blu ray, which is the first time I've said that since The Conjuring 2, and I actually think I even liked this a little more. I really enjoyed this! :)
Adam Ant Driver
Reactions:

I didn't care for Oculus or Hush but that sounds interesting, it can't be worse than the first Ouija, at least. You liked it more than The Conjuring 2? Bold statement, that one was great. I might have to check it out.
For three long days, I felt the cold hand of death on my shoulder. Lost in the depths of despair I tried to figure out what I had done to deserve this. I wasn't an evil person. The worst thing I'd ever done was kick a pig - School trip to Heston Farm, 1964, I maintain it was self-defence.
iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

I wasn't too keen on the 'scary nun' in The Conjuring 2, I thought she/it was a bit too silly. The entities responsible for the goings-on in Ouija; Origin of Evil don't really come close enough for us to realise how silly they are, which I prefer. ;)
Adam Ant Driver
Reactions:

I liked the scene when the shadow went behind the painting and then rushed forwards with it in her hands. The crooked man was great, hard to believe he was just a guy in make-up, he moved like stop-motion.
TheWatcher
Reactions:

Post by TheWatcher »

Has there been a prominent "monster" since Ringu?

It's been like 15 years, ffs.

YouTube vids (and many movies) seem to still be living off it.
TheWatcher
Reactions:

Post by TheWatcher »

What I meant to say, is that most mod horror, doesn't have a personality of all it's own.

(Never thought Freddy would become a high watermark!).
The Seal
Reactions:

Post by The Seal »

TheWatcher wrote:What I meant to say, is that most mod horror, doesn't have a personality of all it's own.

(Never thought Freddy would become a high watermark!).
That's Hollywood for you. Homogeneous, boring and predictable.

All the best stories belong to TV and streaming now.