Ludders
Reactions:

Re: Forthcoming DVD releases.

Post by Ludders »

iank
Reactions:

Post by iank »

Don't know if I can really justify the expense at present.
Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

iank wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:11 am
Don't know if I can really justify the expense at present.
Yeah, normally I'd wait for the inevitable 20% off that comes around fairly often, but considering how quickly some of these sets go out of stock, I think I'll just get this one.
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

They've redone the giant rat in "Talons" on this haven't they?

I honestly don't know why they bothered. Although the original looked daft, it wasn't as bad as "fandom" (aka DWM) made out.

I bet the CGI-ed replacement looks possibly worse, I can't see how they can have replaced the rat effectively in scenes like where Greel feeds it meat at the sewer gate.
Rallying Against Rani's Repetitive Rhubarb and Rubbish.

Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

Rob Filth wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:14 am

I honestly don't know why they bothered. Although the original looked daft, it wasn't as bad as "fandom" (aka DWM) made out.

I bet the CGI-ed replacement looks possibly worse, I can't see how they can have replaced the rat effectively in scenes like where Greel feeds it meat at the sewer gate.
I never thought it looked that bad either. I’ve heard people witter on about how bad it looked, but I’ve seen a hell of a lot worse.

It was probably because Moffat’s school friends mocked him due to the “giant rat” that such a notion became so prevalent after he mentioned it.
Rob Filth
Reactions:

Post by Rob Filth »

Naughtius Maximus wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 9:19 am
I never thought it looked that bad either. I’ve heard people witter on about how bad it looked, but I’ve seen a hell of a lot worse.

It was probably because Moffat’s school friends mocked him due to the “giant rat” that such a notion became so prevalent after he mentioned it.
It's always been something which "established" fandom who toe the DWM narrative line have always banged on about, but I've never heard that much discontent or embarrassment from proper fans before.

Like you say, there IS a hell of a lot worse examples littered throughout the programmes history and because the acting is so good and convincing around the rat, it comes across as a threat rather than a large cuddly domestic animal.

I mean, what's worse between the rat in Talons or the fucking Adipose for fucks sake?

Get some fucking perspective people.
Rallying Against Rani's Repetitive Rhubarb and Rubbish.

Ludders
Reactions:

Post by Ludders »

I didn't know about the rat being replaced, but I always assumed new effects were optional.
Rawkus
Reactions:

Post by Rawkus »

Naughtius Maximus wrote:
Rob Filth wrote:

There plenty of times people complained about the giant rat, the Snake in Kinda, the thing in Caves of Androzani or the clam in Genesis before Moffat's appearance in that fanzine. You can't blame him for that, he never had that much influence before becoming show runner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/Ssorg/postreactions/notification/type/reaction.php on line 95: sprintf(): Too few arguments
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4306: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3037)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4306: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3037)
Bertrand Marx
Reactions:

Post by Bertrand Marx »

Rawkuss wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:21 am
Naughtius Maximus wrote:
Rob Filth wrote:

There plenty of times people complained about the giant rat, the Snake in Kinda, the thing in Caves of Androzani or the clam in Genesis before Moffat's appearance in that fanzine. You can't blame him for that, he never had that much influence before becoming show runner
Yeah, fair enough. My mistake. I suppose it was a more widespread issue with fandom.